Who is eligible to compete?
The contest is open to current College and University students (Bachelor, Masters, Ph.D.). It is also open to recent graduates (2016 and 2017). It should be noted that the poster contest is not limited to students enrolled in a textile-related program.
Area of application
Research and development work in the area of technical textiles, flexible materials, and their applications. Examples include wovens, knits, braids, nonwovens, polymer membranes, smart textiles, nanotechnologies applied to textiles, test methods for textiles, protective clothing, reinforcement for composites, medical scaffolds, geosynthetics, building materials, etc.
- February 13, 2017 Announcement of the contest
- March 15, 2017 Registration form due
- April 3, 2017 Supply of the printed posters
- April 4, 2017 Judging of the posters (physical presence of the participant at his/her poster between 4pm and 5:30 pm on April 4 at Expo Hightex)
- April 4, 2017 Announcement of the winners during the Expo Hightex’s Gala
- 1st position: Award with $800 scholarship
- 2nd position: Award with $500 scholarship
- 3rd position: Award with $300 scholarship
The three finalists will also receive an invitation to attend the Expo Hightex Gala starting at 6pm on April 4th. In addition, all contest participants will be issued a complimentary entree for attending the Expo Hightex 2017 exhibition and conferences.
Criteria for selecting the winners
The three winners of the poster contest will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Clarity and aesthetic of the poster (25%)
- Ability to present the work and respond to the questions of the adjudication committee members (25%)
- Originality of the work (25%)
- Scientific merit (25%)
The adjudication committee will be comprised of 5 members, 3 from the industry and 2 from research centers/academia. If a member of the adjudication committee is not at arm’s length from a participant of the poster contest, he/she will be excluded from the evaluation of the poster of that participant.